Sep 5, 2010

September 5: Departure Date

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5,6



So today was the big day. I got into the car, drove to the airport, and met my fellow student missionaries at Korean Airline. Excitement was in the air for sure. After taking a number of pictures, we gathered in a circle to pray. Then came the goodbyes. I bid everyone farewell and promised that I would be keeping in contact. Finally it was time to go, to leave on the great adventure that was beckoning. With one last “bye,” I watched them head through security and on to the next year’s journey. I stood there a moment. Then I turned around and headed back to the car.

 Up until July 16, I was sure that September 5 was my big departure day for the Philippines. Then my story took a twist I wasn’t anticipating. I think I’ll save this summer’s story for another day, but the end result is that I’m not as healthy as I should be for flying out to be a year-long student missionary. I’m still planning on going soon, though. It’ll just be delayed a little.

 The last couple months, I haven’t really been able to think about going to the Philippines too much. I mean really think about it as a reality. I’ve been occupied with working as a camp counselor and taking the sickness journey. I’m going to be having surgery soon, and honestly, that has seemed a lot closer to reality than going as a student missionary. I guess I’ve been having to process other things and haven’t quite worked my way to missionaryhood.

 But today it seemed a whole lot more real. Today I met three people with whom I was supposed to be starting an adventure, and rather than walking with them onto that plane, I said goodbye. It didn’t feel right. I was on the wrong side things. The plane is in the air, and my feet are on the ground.


Still, I think this is a good start into being a missionary. I decided to call my blog “naim bag toy puso.” In Ilocano, the language of Pagudpud, Philippines, this roughly means, “it is well with my soul.” This is what I remember when God causes or allows my path to take a different direction than I anticipate. No matter where I go or what I face or what I think I miss out on, it is well with my soul because God’s got things covered. He knows what’s going on and He’s working it all for good. I’ve already seen Him at work, using my situation for His glory and for the benefit of others as well as myself. Since I wanted my first post to be more introductory (and since I’ll have a decent stretch of time on my hands), I’ll hold off on delving into the blessings for another post. But the point I want to make here is that perspective makes a difference. I’ve decided to dedicate my life and service to God, and however He chooses to do things sounds like the best way to me. I’m just along for the awesome ride.
Whatever comes, naim bag toy puso.



My Substitution for Flying to the Philippines

1 comment:

  1. Katelyn, you're an inspiration! When I first heard that you were postponing your departure, your calm patience and acceptance made me take a step back and re-evaluate my attitude towards my own obstacles and problems. Please know that I'm praying for your health & mission.

    ReplyDelete