Oct 28, 2010

Detour Blessings, Part 3

"No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. " 1 John 4:12

You cannot give if you have nothing to give. Seems pretty simple. If Jonny has no apples and he gives two apples to Sally…Sally better check what she actually received.
I’m writing this entry a little later than I had anticipated writing it. I’m sitting by myself in the terminal at SEA-TAC. I just said goodbye to my mom and dad, and in saying goodbye I was reminded how much I love them and how much they love me.
During my extended time at home, I’ve gotten to stay longer with my mom, dad, brother, and new sister. I’ve gotten to see and talk with incredible friends. I can’t tell you how many people have been praying for me, writing me cards, notes, and emails, and have been supporting me through this sickness twist. Before going out to give of myself to others, I received so much from those around me. It’s been incredible.
And I think that one of the greatest lessons I’ve learned (or relearned, I suppose) through all this experience is that simple math equation which remains at the heart of service: you need apples to give apples and you need God’s love to receive God’s love.
I thank everyone for filling me up with the Lord’s love because that’s exactly what I need as a student missionary and as a child of God. I, like you, need His love for myself. I need it for nourishment and growth and understanding. But I, also like you, need it to give it. I’ve been fueled up in excess in preparation to give, and this has reminded me that I constantly need to be fueling up on God’s love—receiving from Him and also from His servants.
It’s a pretty cool process really. We receive to give so that others may receive and in turn give. It’s an exponential web of love, a marvelous design by the Father. So my challenge to myself and to you, dear reader, is that you may practice receiving. For once we have truly received, we have the heart to truly give.
I love love and could talk about it for quite some time. But right now I have a plane to catch. It’s time to give.
Love to you.

(P.S. I'm posting this a couple days after arriving. I'll write something more recent soon) 

No comments:

Post a Comment